Thursday, July 29, 2010

Vintage Goes To College






My oldest child leaves for college in less than a month. Where have 18 years gone? Losing my full time job over a year ago has made money very tight. After studying the pbTeen catalog it was off to the resale shops and clearance shelves at Target. My daughter selected the comforter and pillow sham on the very discounted clearance shelf. Thrifty girl! Mom rolled up her sleeves and said, "I can recreate the catalog look with a few cheap finds and a little paint." We found the adorable step table at St. Vincent de Paul Resale Shop. After a coat of primer and three coats of white paint, it was transformed into the cutest bed side table. A free picture frame, some white linen, paint, padding and a board made this one of a kind bulletin board. In July while I was doing the Vintage Market at Viva la Cottage we spied the great vintage shadow box in Carol's booth from the Vintage Nest. Primer and paint created the perfect place for a few keepsakes. I love the embossed plaster design. It is in perfect condition.

My daughter's room will be a place she can call home! I am sure I will miss having her in the bedroom down the hall.

I feel my eyes becoming very watery.

3 comments:

  1. Our daughter will be a sophomore in college this year--it's hard to let them go, but fun to watch them fly. You did a great job with the accessories--will she be in the dorm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is one lucky girl to have such a beautiful collection for her room. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son is in college! Whenever he dates a girl and brings her to our house, she wants him to help her paint some furniture! Ha Ha, he always says, He has no clue how, and my Mom charges to much!!! It all looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete