Friday, January 7, 2011

Goodwill Transformation

Awhile back, I spotted this tray at Goodwill for $3.99. It was probably a souvenir someone brought home from Mexico or the Southwest. I loved the scalloped edges and the grayish silver patina. The bottom of the tray had a tinwork design that screamed southwestern decor. Not my taste at all. I didn't know if it would work, but I thought I had a plan.


I used scraps of vintage sheet music left over from another project and I used Mod Podge to adhere the sheet music to the tray. Two coats of mod podge were applied over the sheet music. When the Mod Podge dried, I used three coats of wipe on poly to make it durable. Here it is!


I love the combination of the more yellowed sheet music and the sheet music that has a more creamy background.


I decided to stage my new creation for Valentine's Day. A stone cherub, a vintage silver candlestick, some old millinery flowers, and a vintage valentine are the perfect adornments for tea for two. The creamy Wedgewood cups and saucers are the perfect color on the sheet music background. The napkins are vintage Valentine hankies. This is a great way to use hankies and it adds to the eclectic vintage mix. The demitasse spoons are from my flatware. Can you believe I registered for old silverplate for my wedding? I have always loved old things.


The table cloth is truly a vintage treasure. Excuse the wrinkles as I am a bit hesitant to iron it. Does anyone have suggestions? It is a Turkey Red Damask tablecloth that was never used. When Martha Stewart featured her collection of Turkey Red Damask on her show, I used the Internet to search down Claudia Glassman a vintage textile expert who was a guest on the show and a vintage textile collector and seller. After some emails and phone conversations, I had this wonderful tablecloth in my possession. Claudia told me it was museum quality. Unfortunately Claudia died a few years ago. Needless to say, I only use it for display. I don't think Martha has one like this in her collection!


"Tea for Two". Perfectly romantic!

Would you like to join me for tea?

No comments:

Post a Comment