Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Leather Case of Vintage Papers

When my children were taking piano lessons, my mom brought me the leather case from my grandmother's house which was filled with sheet music and song books from my mom's and her sister's piano lesson days. As I was looking for inspiration for a Holiday Market I was doing, I decided I would create a line of decorations using the vintage sheet music.

Sheet music was used to make elegant topiary trees in vintage silver containers adorned with heavily glittered black and silver butterflies carefully punched from card stock. I added a little vintage tinsel for sparkle. Everything was repurposed in this project as I used paper packing for the moss in the topiary container. These trees would work with any style decorating because of their simplicity and understated colors.



I used Mod Podge to apply pieces of vintage sheet music to foam cones. For the "stem" I used a 1/2 inch dowel painted black. I secured the topiary into a vintage container using floral foam for silk arrangements and hot glue. All that was left was the addition of the simple black and silver butterflies. I used Martha Stewart's butterfly punch and punched butterflies from card stock. I used white glue and heavily glittered the butterflies on both sides. I scanned a punched butterfly to enlarge it and then I traced and cut the larger butterflies by hand.






Unfortunately the shoppers that day were only lookers so i have my beautiful topiary trees left to use in my holiday decorating.

6 comments:

  1. Your topiaries turned out really pretty, Mary!! Too bad they didn't sell-but at least you can use them in your own decorating! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous. What wonderful memories and ideas tied together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you through ModPodge Rocks. This is such a cute idea!!! Love it& I am your newest follower ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE THESE!!!! This would be a gorgeous and economical centerpiece at any event or holiday =))

    ReplyDelete